Sunday, June 16, 2019

Journey to Wellness

I've been feeling rather inspired lately! I have taken on a 30 day Yoga for Weight Loss video series with Julia Marie (here) and I just found myself starting week 2. I feel wonderful physically and mentally both. It seems to be a pretty comprehensive program that focuses on a very well rounded perspective of fitness. There are, of course, the 20 minute or so work out followed by the resting period and then some bonus tips. I've been pretty impressed with the bonus tips which cover obvious things, such as being sure to drink enough water and reduce sugar intake, as well as some things that may not be so readily apparent but are incredibly helpful.


I have found the concept of journaling my fitness to be particularly helpful. I always enjoy journaling anyway both to work my brain through things that may be kinda gummed up in my head as well as to have a record to refer back to later and reflect on growth and changes. Journaling also provides a way for me to put my thoughts in a safe place and feel free to let them go instead of feeling trapped carrying something heavy as my mind continues to just cycle through the same thoughts. Rinse, Wash, Repeat. That often comes up for me as part of my Bipolar Disorder. I will become fixated on certain thoughts or topics and it's like the hamster on the wheel, I can't seem to stop spinning and get off the ride.

I have also found the idea of goal setting, and reward systems to help program the brain into making positive changes stick to be a very valuable bit of information. Julia talks about the concept of SMART goal setting, which I thought was really great!



I have decided that in order to foster wellness and health both physically and mentally that I would like to start making goals regularly and utilize a rewards system to try to reinforce these positive habits. My first reward was treating myself to a yoga block to add to my workout gear that I am able to put into immediate use with the videos and that I have wanted for quite sometime. It seemed appropriate as I've really been trying to broaden my yoga practice lately. Yoga is one of the many tools I like to utilize to help me manage my mental health without pharmaceutical medications. (disclaimer: There is nothing wrong with using these medications to manage your mental health if that is what you need and/or want to do, I worked with a doctor to stop taking medications and did not quit taking these types of medications cold turkey. If you decide to stop taking any kind of medications you most definitely should do so with the assistance of your healthcare provider.)

I like to think of having a toolbox full of tools in regards to the way I manage my mental health. Yoga is one of those tools. Some of the other tools in my toolbox are things like journaling, reading a book, deep breathing, guided meditation, visualization, affirmations, mindfulness, drawing or coloring, music, (though that can make things worse if I do not use great care in my choices) herbal tea, essential oils, eating a healthy diet, drinking enough water, getting enough sleep on a regular basis, getting outside for fresh air and into nature. It has taken me a good bit of time and trial and error to figure out what tools to stock my toolbox with.


The tools that work for me may not work for someone else. It is very different for everyone. Someone else might like to knit something, or go for a run or ride a horse, or go for a drive. It takes time to figure out what works for you. I have had the help of IREST yoga when I attended Mizzou, Therapy sessions that have taught me about different coping methods. There are a lot of books and websites that are a wonderful source of information that can be helpful for building up a toolbox.

I have learned that a positive and grateful mindset will do an awful lot to combat negative effects of my mood disorder. That being said, my mood disorder makes it difficult sometimes to stay in that mindset. I have decided to utilize goal setting and a gratitude practice to try to help train my brain to naturally think more positive and grateful. My first goal is to begin a gratitude journal. I am keeping it simple and everyday I intend to write down 3 things that I am grateful for. Sometimes when I am feeling a high level of anxiety I will just start listing off things I am grateful for and it doesn't have to be any sort of big or profound things, though those are okay as well. I often just start small and think of the everyday things I use and depend on that are often taken for granted.


Sometimes I start by saying to myself I am grateful for electricity. I am grateful for clean water. I am grateful for the internet. I am grateful for a safe home for my family to live in. I am grateful for a refrigerator full of healthy, nourishing food. I am grateful for a washer and dryer and also for clean clothes to wear. I am grateful for warm blankets and cups of coffee. I am grateful for my beautiful family. I am grateful for my loving and sweet pets. I am grateful for so many more things but it helps to start with that is right in front of me and to just start naming, listing or even just thinking about every single thing that comes to me and take a moment to realize that I am grateful for these things that so often are not even considered.


My brain is starting to get sleepy on me now. I am grateful for a nice comfy bed and a handmade quilt from my mom and a new sheet set and I am grateful for a night of restful easy sleep and rejuvenation. I am grateful for the chance to ramble on in the hopes that someone might be interested enough to join me and my rambling thoughts and even if not, I am grateful for the chance to express my thoughts and to record them so they might serve as a tool for reflection and growth at a later point.

I shall end it on this. Namaste.

No comments: