Friday, July 19, 2019

Weekly Book Recommendation

I'll keep this short and sweet. I've got another great Young Adult recommendation this time. I've been on a kick with YA Fiction lately. You might be familiar with the movie The Hate U Give. I haven't seen it but I read the book and thought it was great. I saw that the author Angie Thomas had another followup book called On the Come Up and decided to give it a go. It is just as good a read, if not better, than her first installment. I feel like it gives a real inside perspective on social justice, racial profiling and black culture in general. Since I am just a regular old white girl reading this it definitely gave me a broader perspective on some things and there were some things I had to look up in Urban Dictionary, I won't even lie. This author though is just so easy to read. Her characters are really easy to find yourself connecting with and rooting for. This book made tears well up more than once because it really hit me in the feels on a few occasions. It was a very fast read and this book as well as the previous one are books I will consider having my kids read when they are older as part of home school because I think they bring up some great talking points regarding real world issues. In the scary world where Black Lives Matter is growing traction and yet there are still too many sad stories of racial profiling and unnecessary and excessive force it is books like these that I think will change the world. Read it! Get it! It'll stick with you after reading it, for sure, at least it has for me.

No comments: